So, er, oops. I sort of forgot to continue linking to my stupidchicken comic from September last year. Go check it out – it almost has some semblance of a coherent storyline going on! Remember, I said almost.
Anyway, here’s what’s gone on since I last posted. Personal favourites have a star (or rectangle, depending on your browser) next to them.
- January 31 Population Control
- January 29 Friends
- January 13 Clonezymandias
- January 10 Can’t Stay Mad
- January 4 A Great Start
- December 20 Clone War (of Sorts)
- December 18 Original Or Brainless ★
- November 20 Nothing To Clone There In The First Place
- November 12 Dialogue Dialogue? Dialogue Dialogue.
- November 7 Begun, This…Y’Know.
- November 5 Sketchicken
- October 19 Didn’t See That One Coming A Mile Away ★
- October 15 The Definitive Sasquatch Comic
- October 13 Ask A Stupid Question
- October 6 So Tired
- September 27 Chicken And Zombie Sing Britney
- September 21 The Return Of Insecure Sasquatch
- September 10 Can’t Buy Me Braaaains ★
- September 6 Clear And Present Danger
- September 2 Real (and) Tasty ★
So, umm, yeah, I forgot to cross-post these like I said I would. Here are some. Personal favourites have a star (or, depending on your computer / browser, a white rectangle) next to them.
- August 23 Yum, Whale
- August 13 Also, She’s Kinda Springy
- August 6 Family Feast ★
- August 2 It’s Supposed To Be Inane
- July 30 Chicken And Zombie Sing Wondergirls ★
- July 16 Get Off You Moron
- July 12 Delusional or Delicious
- July 9 Killer Snail Vs. Rodentator
- June 29 Looming Death: Coffee Break Time
- June 25 What Next, A Talking Chicken?
- June 22 A Tinge Of Regret. Also Of Seasoning. ★
- June 19 A Really Rather Slowly Looming Death
- June 14 Mmm, Chicken ★
- June 11 A Slowly Looming Death
- June 4 Probably Tastes Like Chicken Anyway
I’ve realised it takes quite a bit of discipline to draw stupidchicken on a regular basis. Yes, I usually just end up taking existing drawings, making small modifications, adding some senseless text and pretending it’s funny. It’s still tiring. Be quiet.
This last half-year of doing the webcomic has been quite rewarding, though. I’ve set up a Facebook page for it (factoid: biggest fanbase – teenage girls from the UK. Go figure), and a nice commenter went “love these comics, really make my day, keep it up!”. A nice comment! On the Internet! Probably a sarcastic troll. Anyway, thanks, nice commenter or sarcastic troll. I’ll keep it up as long as I can.
I also found drearyweary recently. The creator is a Singaporean comic artist who does some really, really amazing work, and he posts entire long (and coherent) comicbooks online (Creative Commons licensed, even). I need to buy some of his stuff, if I can find it. I’m really enjoying The Resident Tourist – it’s a (presumably) autobiographical story about the life of a returning Singaporean who feels displaced in his home country. Speaks to me more than a little, I guess. And the crisp art is just awfully impressive.
I seem to be averaging five comics a month, which is not quite twice-weekly but not too shabby I guess. Also, working in some longer-term plot points, but don’t hold out for a coherent storyline or anything.
Haven’t quite been keeping up with the twice-weekly schedule, but I try my best. I also have a Twitter account for stupidchicken where I post chicken-related tweets. Ha! Chicken-related tweets. I’m so amusing.
- April 16 Not a Rodent, Dude
- April 12 Don’t Forget The Lyrics / Brains
- April 5 Answering The Tough Questions
- March 29 Bobzombie vs. Mad Cow
- March 26 Chicken Sings U2
- March 22 Chicken Sings Death Cab
- March 14 The Inevitable Shouting Match
- March 7 Chicken vs. Dinochickens
- February 28 Chicken vs. Zombie, Part 2
- February 25 Chicken Sings The Killers, Again
- February 21 Chicken vs. Zombie
- February 18 Chicken vs. Questionable Nutritional Tendencies
Two months since I announced regular updates to the webcomic (Wednesdays and Saturdays) and I’ve only missed one. That’s quite acceptable, I think, and it was for another project which turned out quite well.
I’ll probably write about that at some point. Meanwhile–
I managed to rush out today’s new stupidchicken comic only an hour before my self-imposed deadline. I imagine this will become more common as work gets busier, but I’m glad this Wednesday-Saturday update schedule is forcing me to be disciplined about drawing regularly.
- January 17 Chicken vs. Grenade
- January 14 Chicken vs. The Treachery Of Images
- January 10 Chicken vs. Fable 2 Chicken-Kicker
- January 7 Chicken vs. Causality Dilemma
- January 3 Chicken vs. Chicken Soup
- December 31 Chicken In Conversation: Introductions
- December 27 Chicken vs. Shrieking Chicken Toy
- December 24 Chicken vs. Eggnog
Before the internet grew up and ate all my free time, I doodled a lot. I bought reams of white A4 paper, laid on the floor, drew with my cheap fountain pen while dreaming up all kinds of ridiculous story arcs, left my drawings all over the house, and got yelled by my mom who threw away the drawings. This sequence, repeated regularly until I enlisted, made me happy. I even entertained thoughts of drawing and making comics for a living, half-aware that I really didn’t have the talent or patience for it.
At 19, I was being interviewed by the Public Service Commission for the scholarship (in engineering — math is easier than art, after all), and they asked what I would like to be doing in ten years’ time. I told them, all earnest and naive, that I’d really like to be drawing comics. I can’t remember what their reaction was — maybe I couldn’t see their bewilderment through my nervousness — but I remember my scholarship officer mentioning a year later that she had heard about it, and found it funny. Seemed to me it had gone around the office that some kid had dared to tell the PSC he wanted to draw comics! Not serve the public good! Just wait till he comes back and serves his bond!
So now, it’s ten years later, and I really want to draw some comics so I can tell the 19-year-old version of me that I didn’t mess up his dreams too badly.
Also, I spent $500 on my new tablet, so I’d better use the hell out of it.
New stupidchicken entries over the last two weeks — managed to be quite consistent with the Wednesday + Saturday updates so far.
- December 20 Chicken vs. Satay
- December 17 Chicken vs. Giant Irradiated Attack Rooster
- December 13 Chicken vs. Skydiver
- December 10 Chicken vs. Mahjong
Somewhat disturbing: new colleague I only just met immediately asked if I was responsible for stupidchicken.com, then accused me of having too much free time. True on both counts, but yikes.